Celebrate Seniors This Holiday Season with Help from Your Rogue Valley Senior Care Experts!
The holidays are full of celebrations, parties, and gatherings. However, for an elderly loved one, holiday outings require a little extra planning. Follow these tips from All Care’s Rogue Valley senior care team in an effort to savor fun and relaxed outings with loved ones of all ages this season.
Before leaving the house, consider:
- The quantity of walking involved, and if there is parking nearby
- If the destination is flat or has hills or stairs to climb
- If there is wheelchair access (if appropriate)
- Whether there is cover and shade
- Whether you can find bathroom facilities
- Whether there are chairs or benches available in the event the senior needs to rest
Make sure to get ready for a wide array of possibilities:
- Have all the medicines needed and take an extended supply, in the event the outing lasts longer or takes an unexpected change
- Have appropriate clothing along with sun and rain protection
- Bring along something to eat and drink, in case of a delay
Need some holiday outing suggestions older adults will enjoy? Take a look at the following:
- Take a leisurely family drive to look at the city holiday lights
- If it is feasible and the senior is open to the idea, invite the senior to your house to help decorate
- Assist your elderly loved one in going to a holiday party especially for seniors at a neighborhood senior center
- Attend local and community plays; aside from local theater shows or ballet, you can find affordable plays and shows performed at local schools
When getting together with family this holiday season, don’t forget to include the senior loved ones in your life. Whatever activities you participate in this holiday season, take things slow and produce a relaxed environment to ensure your loved one is comfortable and happy. All Care of the Rogue Valley can help your family by enhancing your senior loved one's independence while providing excellent care during the holiday season and throughout the rest of the year! Contact us to learn more about our in-home senior care services.