How Home Care for Seniors Reduces Hospital Readmissions
There is currently a leading priority for hospitals: decreasing readmissions for high-risk patients. Healthcare Financial Management Association’s article “Two Ways Hospitals Can Reduce Avoidable Readmissions” reports that effective initiatives from several hospitals with minimal 30-day rehospitalizations are, to some level, the outcome of participating with inpatient and outpatient care providers, like New Horizons In-Home Care, who can supply a continuum of care.
The hospitals mentioned in the article provided the techniques below to help lower rehospitalizations:
- Start preparing for a patient’s discharge from a hospital stay on the day of admission. When a senior is admitted to the hospital, reach out to an in-home care agency, like New Horizons In-Home Care, to arrange for home care for seniors upon being discharged. Patient outcomes are improved when home care services are in place as soon as possible after discharge.
- Identify patients who could be at an elevated risk for concerns after discharge for additional care coordination and/or case management services. (Make sure social workers see all patients age 80 and older to assist with care needs.)
- Use technology to assess, track, or refer patients.
- Conduct a complete assessment of the patient’s risk factors, available resources, care needs, understanding and management of the disease or health condition, and extent of family support.
At New Horizons In-Home Care, top providers of the elder care Salem, OR and the surrounding area needs, we realize how critical it is to establish a transitional plan of care in order to lower the risk of hospital readmissions for older individuals. We help clients plan for care needs beginning on day one of their hospital stay, monitoring their health and ensuring that care plans are put in place as soon as they return home. Call us at 503-400-3000 to learn more about how we can help the seniors you love transition from hospital to home with professional home care services for seniors like:
- Offering training and help with chronic condition management
- Medication reminders so they are taken precisely as prescribed
- Assisting with coordination and balance
- And many more
Avoid an unnecessary follow-up hospital visit. Partner with New Horizons In-Home Care for assistance and discover how our elder care in Salem, OR, and the surrounding areas can benefit a senior you love. For more information about all of the areas we serve in Oregon, please visit our Locations page.