Top Tips for Seniors Living with COPD to Breathe Easier at Home
Families providing COPD care for a senior loved one know that outdoor air pollution can make symptoms worse. However, did you realize that compromised air quality inside the home can also inflame COPD symptoms? Cleansing the air in the house can help those living with COPD – and everybody else in the home – breathe easier.
The Ashland home care professionals at All Care In-Home Care Solutions suggest these further COPD care tips:
- Ban Indoor Smoking. Never smoke or permit others to smoke in the home of someone with COPD. If the home contains a woodstove or fireplace, realize that it can also be a source of aggravation for the senior with COPD.
- Try to Avoid Exposure to Chemicals. Chemicals in the home, including cleaning products and paint, can trigger COPD symptoms, so minimize the use of them, and make sure to keep lids on cleaning products when not in use. It is also a good idea to take a look at safer cleaning solutions, including vinegar and baking soda.
- Minimize Dust. Wash bed linens each week, eliminate clutter, and ensure pets stay off furniture to reduce the amount of dust and dander.
- Purify the Air in the Home. Utilize an air filtration system with a HEPA air filter. While air pollution is not as much a problem in rural areas as it is in the city, a senior with COPD can still benefit from filtered air to remove irritants and toxins.
- Keep Floors Clean. Ensuring floors are swept and clean reduces allergen buildup. Keep in mind that hardwood floors are easier to maintain in an allergen-free state than carpeting and rugs.
- Utilize a Humidifier. Dry air can make COPD challenges even worse, as can air that is too damp. Work towards having a level of approximately 40% humidity within the home for an individual with COPD.
COPD patients can breathe easier with the support of All Care In-Home Care Solutions. We can offer:
- Helpful informative resources about COPD care and management
- Exercise tips to alleviate symptoms
- Nutritional and dietary guidelines
- Skills to better manage symptoms
- And a wide range of home care services
Our fully trained and experienced home care professionals will first provide an in-home assessment to develop a care plan to address your loved one’s care needs. All Care In-Home Care Solutions is readily available to help with personalized home care services in Ashland and other surrounding areas. Call us at your convenience at (541) 857-9195 to learn more about the many ways our home care services can help. To learn more about all of the areas we serve in Oregon, please review our list of service areas on our Contact Page.